Wednesday 23 February 2011

Youth unemployment

I wrote an essay on youth unemployment (for one of my degree modules) the other day and it was quite depressing. I'm currently nearing the end of my degree, I've got a few more weeks left of lectures and seminars and then that's it, exams, graduation and I'm done. I'm at the third best university in the country, am on track for a 2:1, and yet I'm pretty sure when I'm finished here my employment prospects won't be much better than most.*


However, I'm doing so much work at the moment, it's very stressful and I feel like I never really escape working. Obviously sometimes I may go out, maybe watch a bit of TV and just slob out for a while; but there's a horrible guilty feeling I get when I don't spend my time working. It's made worse by the constant news stories on youth unemployment, they just totally demotivate me. (I feel like I should cut bit chunks of my essay for you all to read, but that would be quite odd, (and I probably wouldn't appreciate any criticism on an essay I've already handed in). )

The constant news stories and blogs on youth unemployment are slowly getting to me, I'm really worried about what I'm going to do when I'm finished with all this studying lark. It's getting to that point of the year where everyone is doing the "what are you doing when you finish?" chat, and everyone sounds so miserable, most people I've spoken to are hoping they can find a job at home, whilst fully acknowledging that they'll probably end up working for minimum wage and living with their parents to try and save up. It's a reality that a large majority of us are only now really coming to terms with.

I'm not at all 'bashing' jobs that pay the National Minimum Wage here, I'm just highlighting that we all went away to uni so we didn't have to end up on the NMW. Going to uni and getting into thousands of pounds of debt, only to get your degree and still live with your rents whilst you pull pints (if you're lucky) is not what any of us expected. I just feel a bit cheated, that's all. My school, sixth form and parents constantly pushed this idea that if I got a degree then it'd be so much easier for me to get a well-paid job, and here I am, 2011, worrying I won't even be able to get a job that pays the NMW, it's just ridiculous, demotivating and depressing.


* I'm aware of the presumptuousness of it all, but I do think it's quite necessary.

3 comments:

  1. Oh lord. The epic question of What are you going to DO?
    Hmmm, maybe I should concentrate on what I'm doING for now, otherwise I'mma be right back where I started.
    It really is a scary prospect that we leave so soon.

    On the upside, I've planned a career as a travelling one woman band, living in a cardboard box and blogging from a cheeky hack into other people's internet.

    That's a life plan right? Right?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, I know people are only interested when they are asking about the future and yet it makes me feel even more hopeless :( I do think though, you have to take it a day at a time (like Danni said) or you just won't enjoy any of it!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the final stages of your degree and the post-degree job hunt!

    I graduated in July and as much as I'd love to inspire you with a great success story... like many others, I'm still jobless :( I'm back at home and have been looking for work for over 6 months now. I went to one of the top London uni's and all that hard work seems to be in vain. It sucks :( I know what you mean about minimum wage jobs. Just after I graduated I didn't really consider them as an option - I felt like with a degree, I should be able to get a job that pays above MW. Months later, you decide it doesn't matter what job. I have applied for MW jobs (mostly in retail) and I haven't even managed to score those! A few places have actually told me that I'm over qualified! I mean come on!!

    Sorry for the rant... it's just very frustrating to have worked hard for x amount of years and not being able to find work yet. I hope you have a better time of it - good luck x x

    http://angel-in-this-dress.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete