Friday 2 July 2010

Dissertation ramblings (because I've passed second year, woo)

My final year of uni will mean having to do a dissertation. I have a general focal point - the sexualization of stuff (I'll explain what stuff is in a minute) - and I know I have 10,000 words, but I'm very unsure what to write about. 

The things I want to write about (...and how this is impossible)

I want to write about so many things, but obviously I can't write about too much, as it would be mean my dissertation lacked depth. Boo to that. Some of things I want to mention in my dissertation (but probably won't ever get round to most of them) are...
- Sexualization of commodities (the whole 'Sex Sells' idea)
- Sex as a path to adulthood (which would also mean looking at the social construction of childhood).
- Critical analysis of Foucault and his whole 'history of sexuality' work (/malarky, because he never looks at the gendered body).
- Sexism and society.
- Problems that sexual liberation has led to. This would probably involve the issue of ageing, moral panics and child sexualization.

I originally wanted to focus on the sexualisation of commodities idea and the problems that have occurred due to the sexual liberation. Now I've just written that sentence I've thought of another thing I could write about; the problem of sexual liberation and what it means for women and feminism. SEE, this is why I never get anything done. My mind is constantly thinking and adding more to the crap I've already thought. Part of me thinks I should just focus on all the problems of it, not really cheery, but probably really interesting. I really have no idea.

This wasn't a fun blog, soz. I'll work on being cool(ish) again. On a brighter note, I'VE PASSED SECOND YEAR (I haven't been told my grade yet, they're making us wait until Monday, bitches). 

By the way, for those of you that read this blog and do not follow wif da google (as I know you exist, *points at nearly all best friends*) you can actually leave comments as one hath changed the settings so any old fool can comment (literally). Yes yes.

Now back to writing mini ramblings on Twitter. I need a life.





I like your face.

1 comment:

  1. hello, ive just found your post by trying to search for ideas for my dissertation on the sexualisation of childhood and was wondering how you are doing/ any good references?

    ReplyDelete