Friday 24 September 2010

hilarious/slightly cool/ridiculous

A few things (after narrowing it down a bit) that made the past 10ish months hilarious/slightly cool/ridiculous.


- All the day trips we had, whether they were to Stratford-upon-Avon, or to Barton Grange for tea and cake :)

- Going to Portcullis House for lunch with Cat and then pottering down to Tory MP Alan Duncan's office. Sitting on those incredibly padded green sofas watching Sky News, making small talk and waiting for tea. Listening to his John Major & Tony Blair impressions and getting a glimpse of the pictures around his room, including one of him and Thatcher. Cat's interview on the Rotary Club went well, my technology use went well and he said my scarf was nice. Ridiculous.

- Going to the Reclaim The Night march in London. Being slightly amazed by all the police by our sides and the amount of people watching. I don't want to say we were marching, because when there are that many of you and you're all shouting it turns in to a shuffle. So, we shuffled from Whitehall to just by King's Cross shouting a series of rhymes and generally just shouting and saying "wooo" a lot. Amazing experience. At the end of the march we had no voice and our legs has seized up from a lot of shuffling. (The headscarf was only temporary, there was RAIN).

- Going to Paris with Meg, Hannah and Susan. Seeing some old bands that hold an important place in my life. Seeing some bands I have a new found love for. Seeing the Eiffel Tower at night in the pouring rain, being drenched and wandering the streets of Paris attempting to sing Edith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien  at the top of our voices. Getting to the metro and singing the "voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" line and embarrassing Meg (and ourselves) whilst doing so. Beautiful French boys, cheap (and good) wine and a generally amazing festival. Let's not forget about Ugly Naked Guy ;)

- Going to an Object event in London, Caitlin Moran, Susie Orbach, Diane Abbott and some random woman from Object who I didn't really like, were sat about 5 feet away from me. Which was an odd experience. They were hilarious (except that Object woman, it's not that I didn't like her, but her feminist ambitions were so very unrealistic that it made me not like her). Cat and I wandered around the room chatting to all these amazing women about feminist issues. Possibly the most grown-up I've ever felt (okay, except for when I voted) and also the most out of my depth I've felt. Such a weird experience.

Oh, and that whole 'being able to vote in a General Election' thing was quite cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment