Sunday 5 September 2010

Labour Leadership (for those of you that prefer politics-lite).

I've just watched the Labour Leadership Debate on Sky News, refereed  by Adam Boulton. Sky News clearly wasn't enjoying all the red light and talk of equality and such. They managed to get Adam Boulton to say the lyrics from The Red Flag. You could feel his insides crying.



Quick summaries of things I think. I'm partly doing this so that evaluate what I think. Many a blog and many an article has been read throughout this leadership contest, so typing it all out will be a nice way for me to finally evaluate my thoughts. (Finally evaluate? Surely that's what an evaluation is? It's final. Whatever, it's staying, it makes sense in my head).

I've decided that Ed Miliband is my favourite. I've put a picture up because his brother is in the leadership contest too, and people who aren't as obsessed (/weird) as me don't know the difference, which is fair enough. The main reasons I like MiliE is because I agree with his reasons for why Labour lost the last election completely. I do think that MiliE would be able to take the Labour Party in a different direction, one that actually reconnects with those that are disenfranchised by politics. MiliE is advocating things that I think matter, like the living wage, the graduate tax (rather than tuition fees or general taxation, as I agree with neither of these, it's probably because I want to teach, so I'm a little bit bias) and his views on capitalism and tax are incredibly similar to my own. So yes, MiliE it is :D.


Although, MiliD is kind of hot for a politician. Kind of kills me to say that, but he is. I agree with a few things he says, but his reasons for why Labour lost the election, his views on Higher Education and generally some of the things he says I just don't think are right. Which is kind of annoying, as I like MiliD, he was my favourite for a while, but he's kind of lost to his cooler lefter brother. I think he'd make a decent Labour leader though, I reckon he'd probably be the best out of all the candidates against David Cameron, you can just tell.

Andy Burnham is a treasure. I don't really need to say much more than that. He's clearly mega passionate about his job and generally seems to be a nice guy. I just can't see him as Labour leader...well not at the moment anyway. Oh,  AND he's northern and REALLY cool. Which is really important, clearly. (He's also fabulous).

 Ed Balls is nice enough (although note his lack of smiling in the group picture ^^. That's because Ed Balls smiling just creates some smug layer). I like him more after this debate, which I didn't think I'd ever say :|. I just cannot see him as the next Prime Minister. Come on? Really? I can't be the only one that thinks that. I just cannot see him at PMQs or giving any kind of heart-warming inspiring speech (because all politicians do that...all the time :|). He has this constant air of smugness that I just don't like. He's nice enough, I'd just rather he was in the cabinet, not the Labour leader.


Dianne Abbott needs to stop waving pens round like some giddy wizard. She also needs stop grinning, it's unnerving . Constant pen waving and grinning. I totally do not even ever slightly ever ever think of her being Labour leader. Could you imagine? She's just a bit all over the place. Imagine her trying to argue with David Cameron. There'd be pens waving about and nervous laughter everywhere, urgh. No, thank-you.

Good-day and happy Labour leadership voting to you all :)

2 comments:

  1. I've been listening to their in depth interviews on 5 Live and the Millibands and Andy Burnham have definitely come out the best so far. Ed Balls is just unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you there. Ed Balls is just insanely irritating.

    ReplyDelete